Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jumpstart My Kaleidoscope Heart

HOW TO BE AN ARTIST.

Rule 1: Stay loose.

Rule 2: Learn to watch snails.


Stay loose. It doesn't have much meaning without context, but I tend to think of staying loose as setting yourself free from worry and stress, anything that inhibits creativity. This is something I struggle with and therefore an excellent opener to regaining a connection with the artist and child I am. I am often one of those people who worries herself into a tizzy with 'what if's and future scenarios instead of accepting and embracing the present. But I must learn to release myself from that tense shell.
The ways in which I stay loose are varied and a bit odd. Occasionally I mentally picture myself shedding a shell or snake-skin of sorts, often a dull, neutral color, to unveil a kaleidoscope of colors, an aura of creativity surrounding me. Yet I'm more likely to use some sort of meditation to relax. I am lucky in that I can control my mind if I so choose, from my dreams to clearing my head of everything until I'm standing inside my head, whose "walls" are painted in solid white or black. From here, I breathe. Simple as that. Or if I need to relax more than just my mind, I close my eyes and envision a pulsing tangled ball of color in my chest. I send this ball of energy and relaxation through my body, stopping at every muscle - my knees, my toes, my neck, my eyes, my cheekbones - until everything is warm and calm and light enough to float through the floor.
And that is how I stay loose. Through the power of imagination. Not a bad beginning on the road to becoming an artist.

Learning to watch snails is obviously about more than just staring at a snail on its daily journey. It's an exercise to teach patience and perserverance. It is also a way to escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. For while I love the city life, the constant go, go, go atmosphere, it doesn't allow for time to stop and think. So by stepping away from the errands, or the television, or the computer (guilty!), and watching a little snail slowly glide, you are given a moment to breathe. The oxygen allows blood to flow to your brain and thoughts appear. And that is that.


For me, those "creative thoughts" insisted I photoshoot with my new camera. And what would this blog be sans pictures?







Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment